Monday, August 2, 2010

navy is the new black

The powder room is the most important washroom in our home. It’s the one washroom that always has fresh towels, a full roll of toilet paper and a soap pump filled to the brim. Aside from last minute bathroom visits before heading out or jetting in the door after a long road trip, the powder room is used by our guests. That`s why it was important to us that this washroom was at the top of our decorating list after moving into our newly built home. Below are photos of my inspiration, my palette and my finished product. Enjoy!

If you follow the world of interior design you’ve likely come across photos of this Brooklyn brownstone, belonging to the Executive Fashion Director for J Crew. The following photos were shot for Living Etc. and Domino Magazine.


A subtle grey and blue living room is accented with a canary yellow sofa.


















Grey cabinets and open shelving keep this kitchen sleek and casual.













The famous black bathroom....and my inspiration.

















Black painted walls and moulding pair nicely with gold fixtures.


My palette....a builder white bathroom with chrome fixtures!


















And then there was navy....

I knew that I didn’t want to change the fixtures so I had to choose a colour that complimented chrome and silver. Instead of black, I chose Benjamin Moore's Raccoon Fur– a rich navy blue.

















The room has no natural light so I incorporated a large cream and metallic art piece to brighten one of the walls.













I chose stripped towels to contrast the circles in the art. Mixing patterns adds texture to this small space.

While this project was fun and exciting, it was certainly challenging. I was forced to look outside my beige, white and light grey box and explore using dark colours in small spaces. With a little inspiration and a lot of bravery, I was able to complete my new favourite bathroom!


A final thought....

Since we’re talking about powder rooms I thought I`d share two of my favourite small bathrooms, created by interior designer Sarah Richardson.